The roles and responsibilities of the Shrewsbury Colleges Group Board (or Governing Body) are many and varied. However, the main roles and responsibilities (as determined by the Instruments and Articles) are summed up as follows:
- the determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and for the oversight of its activities
- approving the quality strategy of the institution
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Board and for safeguarding their assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk including, where the Clerk is, or is to be appointed as, a member of staff, the Clerk’s appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of pay in the capacity of a member of staff
- setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
Other areas that are considered by the Board include:
- monitoring and evaluating the College's activities and services
- strategic planning of long term issues as well as the short and medium term
- involvement in the recruitment of other staff as well as senior post holders and the Clerk
- promoting the College (where appropriate)
- assessing the effectiveness of the Board (self assessment)
- ensuring compliance with legislation and policies adopted by the Board.
All Governors can only be contacted through the Clerk to the Governors - Tracy Cottee by email. Postal enquiries should be sent for the Clerk’s attention to:
Shrewsbury Colleges Group
London Road Campus
Student engagement is vital to the work of the Governing Body when it comes to improving the quality of teaching and learning and the learner experience, and indeed wider governance issues in relation to the College. We recognise that it is the day-to-day practice, people and resources that enable students to be effective and fully involved in relation to the College decision making processes.
Student Governors are a vital part of the College’s Leaner Voice. Student Governors are full members of the Board and use their experiences as students to help shape the Board’s decision-making.
They work closely with the Student Council, to ensure that the Board is made aware of issues affecting students and that student experience is an integral part of all the Corporation’s decision-making.
Chair of Governors
Gordon is a former Board Director, working in several high-profile companies. He is also a Trustee of the Roy Fletcher Estates Trust.
Robert is a former LA Chief Officer currently working as an Interim Manager and Consultant in the fields of economic development and regeneration, planning, tourism, charities and partnership working. H&S Governor representative.
Learning & Development Manager for NACRO and has extensive experience of supporting education partnerships, including creation and supervision of work experience programmes. Lead Governor for Apprentices and Marketing.
Chair of Quality, Standards & Curriculum Committee - Independent Governor
A former deputy head teacher who has extensive experience of the education sector.
Co-opted Human Resources Committee Member
Working mainly in the public sector she has extensive experience in diversity, inclusion and human resources. She is now a board member of Stonewater, a member of CILEx Disciplinary Tribunal and runs her own HR business.
Iain is a former business executive, specialising in Procurement and Supply Chain, Management Consultant and Director of his own HR Consultancy.
Magistrate and a former Speech and Language Therapist who worked with Strokes and Voice Disorders, she is the Board's Lead Governor for Equality & Diversity, Safeguarding and SEND.
Chair of Audit Committee / Parent Governor
Nigel is a Chartered Internal Auditor. He currently works in the field of Security and Business Continuity strategy. Audit and Risk Lead Governor.
David has 40 years experience in commercial property, town centre regeneration and retail facilities management.
Rex is a School Bursar and retired Lieutenant Colonel.
Principal & CEO
Marches Local Enterprise Partnership Representative.
Chair of Search and Governance Committee / Independent Governor
A retired Assistant Principal for strategic planning at Newcastle under Lyme College, he continues with roles in the voluntary sector including Chair of North Staffs Community Rail Partnership and Trustee of the Burslem Ethical Trust. HE Lead Governor.
Richard is Head of Financial Performance at Harper Adams University.
Mike is a Technical Author, having moved from France.
Staff Governor (Academic)
Steve is a teacher of Chemistry. He is based at our Welsh Bridge Campus.
Staff Governor (Academic)
Linda is the College’s Quality Assurance Co-Ordinator, based at our London Road Campus.
Staff Governor (Support)
Paula is the Progression Specialist for our Creative Arts and Media students, based at our English Bridge Campus.
HE Student Governor
Jae is studying for a PGCE qualification at the London Road Campus.
Student Governor (16–18)
Georgia is an A Level student at our English Bridge Campus. She is also the English Bridge Student Union President.
Minutes of Finance & Business Operations Committee
Minutes of the Quality Standards & Curriculum Committee
Minutes of the Meeting of the Search Committee
Minutes of the Audit Committee