The merger of Shrewsbury College of Arts & Technology and Shrewsbury Sixth Form College has led to the creation of The Shrewsbury Colleges Group and has resulted in a newly formed Board.
The governance pages of this website will be developed over the coming months. Key documents can be found below.
The roles and responsibilities of the Board (or Governing Body) are many and varied. However, legally the main roles and responsibilities (as determined by the Instruments and Articles) are summed up as follows:
- the determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and for the oversight of its activities
- approving the quality strategy of the institution
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Board and for safeguarding their assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk including, where the Clerk is, or is to be appointed as, a member of staff, the Clerk’s appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of pay in the capacity of a member of staff
- setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
Other areas that are considered by the Board include:
- monitoring and evaluating the College's activities and services
- strategic planning of long term issues as well as the short and medium term
- involvement in the recruitment of other staff as well as senior post holders and the Clerk
- promoting the Colleges
- assessing the effectiveness of the Board (self assessment)
- ensuring compliance with legislation and policies adopted by the Board.
All Governors can only be contacted through the Clerk to the Governors - Tracy Cottee by email. Postal enquiries should be sent for the Clerk’s attention to:
Shrewsbury Sixth Form College
Welsh Bridge Campus
Chair of Governors
Gordon is a former Board Director, working in several high-profile companies. He is also a Trustee of the Roy Fletcher Estates Trust.
Robert is a former LA Chief Officer currently working as an Interim Manager and Consultant in the fields of economic development and regeneration, planning, tourism, charities and partnership working. H&S Governor representative.
Learning & Development Manager for NACRO and has extensive experience of supporting education partnerships, including creation and supervision of work experience programmes.
Independent Governor; Chair of Finance & Business Operations Committee
Born and schooled in Shrewsbury, he studied law at university and afterwards worked as a chartered accountant and company director in London and internationally.
Chair of Quality, Standards & Curriculum Committee - Independent Governor
A former deputy head teacher who has extensive experience of the education sector.
Working mainly in the public sector she has extensive experience in diversity, inclusion and human resources. She is now a board member of Stonewater, a member of CILEx Disciplinary Tribunal and runs her own HR business..
Chris has a background in Corporate Finance originally with a global Bank but since 2000 he has continued to give corporate advice through his own business. In 2011 he gained his Doctorate through the Open University.
Staff Governor (Academic)
Sarah is a teacher in Fitness based at our London Road Campus.
Iain is a former business executive, specialising in Procurement and Supply Chain, Management Consultant and Director of his own HR Consultancy.
Magistrate and a former Speech and Language Therapist who worked with Strokes and Voice Disorders, she is the Corporation's representative for Equality & Diversity and Safeguarding college Committees.
Staff Governor (Support)
Liz is the SSFC Admissions Manager for both UK and International students based at our Welsh Bridge Campus.
Staff Governor (Academic)
Barbara is a teacher of Biology and Applied Science based at our Welsh Bridge Campus.
Nigel is a Chartered Internal Auditor. He currently works in the field of Security and Business Continuity strategy.
David has 40 years experience in commercial property, town centre regeneration and retail facilities management.
Rex is a consultant and retired Lieutenant Colonel.
Interim Principal & CEO
Marches Local Enterprise Partnership Representative.
Staff Governor (Support)
Verity is a Provision Co-ordinator based at our London Road Campus.
A retired Assistant Principal for strategic planning at Newcastle under Lyme College, he continues with roles in the voluntary sector including Chair of the North Staffs Community Rail Partnership and Trustee of the Burslem Ethical Trust. HE Governor rep.
Standing Orders Policy and Procedure Updated: 24/10/2016 (355 KB)
Mentoring for New Governors Policy and Procedure Updated: 24/10/2016 (117 KB)
Attendance At and Access to Meetings Policy and Procedure Updated: 24/10/2016 (127 KB)
Appointment of Staff Governors Policy and Procedure Updated: 24/10/2016 (123 KB)
Appointment of Parent Governors Policy and Procedure Updated: 24/10/2016 (122 KB)
Appointment of Governors and Determination Policy and Procedure Updated: 24/10/2016 (47 KB)
Access to College Information Policy and Procedure Updated: 24/10/2016 (143 KB)
Skills Audit Analysis Updated: 24/11/2016 (700 KB)
Responsibilities of Governors Updated: 24/11/2016 (162 KB)